The Directorate of Teacher Education and SCERT came into existence as an independent Directorate on January 15, 1990. It progressively acquired its present status from the State Institute of Education, established in 1964 to State Council of Educational Research and Training (SCERT) in 1979, and from SCERT to TE and SCERT in 1990. Its progressive evolution from SIE to TE and SCERT was largely mandated by ever expanding and emerging developments in education.
- To be a centre for excellence in elementary education and teacher education programme (elementary and secondary) in the state.
- To organize pre-service training for prospective teachers, and capacity building programmes for inservice teachers, conferences, meetings, seminars and briefing sessions for State Education Officers and field functionaries.
- To organize induction level training programmes for the new entrants / teaching workforce of the teachers training institutions.
- To restructure syllabus and curriculum used at the elementary education and teacher education sector so as to
make it need-based and relevant based and functional.
- To undertake, aid, promote and coordinate research and innovation activities among faculty members of teacher training institutions.
- To generate new ideas, innovations, improved practices in education, quality monitoring and supervision etc. by conducting studies and researches both short term and longitudinal and their dissemination among faculty members of teacher training institutions.
- To produce high quality teaching learning materials and enriched literature for teachers, trainers, supervisors and key educational functionaries.
- To provide academic and professional support and guidance to agencies and institutions working in the field of education, population and development education, child rights and environment protection, and eco-friendly life style, community education etc.
- To collaborate with other agencies, institutions, organizations for the cause of quality in school education and teacher education programme.
- To make DIET as a Resource Center.
- To make coordination with other stakeholders