This institute came into existence on 7th November, 1980 under the auspices of a private management with an intention to extend the facility of teacher education to women candidates pursuing B. Ed. and M.Ed. courses. This institute was named after late Nalini Devi Routray, a known personality of Odia literature and the wife of Sj. NilamaniRoutray, Ex-Chief Minister, Odisha. This institute by virtue of an ordinance notice No. 03 dt. 27.6.1991 was taken over by the Govt. of Odisha.
Subsequently it was upgraded to the status of “College of Teacher Education” vide G.O. XII/SME (Trg) 3/93 No. 3753/SMS dated 14.11.93. Consequent upon its up gradation it was renamed as Nalini Devi Women’s College of Teacher Education in pursuance of the Govt. notification number XII-SME (Trg.) 10/96-10979/SME dated 05.04.1995.
This Post-Graduate College is recognized by NCTE and affiliated to the Utkal University offering B. Ed. and M.Ed. courses as a part of its Pre-Service Teacher Education Programme. The intake capacity in B.Ed. 1st year and M.Ed. 1st year is 200 and 50 respectively. The intake capacity in B.Ed. 2nd year and M.Ed. 2nd year is 200 and 50 respectively. Apart from pre-service training, this institute is involved in the process of dissemination of new pedagogic ideas and skills to the secondary schools for qualitative improvement of education through in-service education, extension education and research in education. The institute has nine thousand and two books in its library. The institute subscribes fourteen national journals on education.
There is a Ladies’ Hostel in the Institute under the administrative control of the Principal. It has a Superintendent to look after the day to day management. Admission to the hostel is done on the Principle of merit laid down in the prospectus. The hostel has a capacity to accommodate 50 boarders.
In a knowledge-intensive society, thinking and innovation matters. To ignite the young minds, to excel in all spheres of life : Science and Technology, Art and Aesthetic, Moral and Spiritual, Social and Political, Cultural and Religious, this Institute is in pursuit of producing qualitative, competent and committed, prospective women teachers for the state so that they, in turn, shape/reshape the generations for a creative and visionary society-which reflects our mission also.
Having a potential faculty of academic staff the institute functions with different departments such as:
1. Department of Pre-Service Education
2. Department of Research and Innovation
3. Department of In-Service Education
4. Department of Extension Education
5. Department of Publication and Documentation
Apart from the regular curricular transaction the institute continuously strives to harness the students’ innate potentialities through different co-curricular activities such as:
• Observation of different days of national and international importance
• Celebration of different functions of cultural importance.
• Organizing different physical activities like indoor, outdoor games and annual athletic meet
• Organizing different literary activities to develop their personal and social issues.
• Guiding and counseling the students to overcome their personal and social problems.
• Exposure to psychological test administration, first -aid service, disaster management, guidance and counseling and life skill lessons
• Organizing Study Tour, field trip, exposure visit etc..