The college was established by the Government of Odisha in 1955 and was named as Basic Training College. It was named Basic Training College because the students were trained in true spirit of basic education propounded by Mahatma Gandhi. This college is the second teacher training institution in Odisha (First being Radhanatha Training College, Cuttack) and first teacher training institution in Odisha in Odisha in post-independence period. In conformity with the recommendations of the National Policy on Education (1986), the college has been upgraded to the status of College of Teacher Education in 1988. The college has been named after a great freedom fighter, an outstanding social worker and former Chief minister of Odisha, Late Nabakrushna Choudhary on 21.07.1997, Since then, this college is known as Nabakrushna Choudhary College of Teacher Education, Angul. The college is affiliated to Utkal University. Now the college is running with B.Ed. intake capacity of 150 and M.Ed. with 50 seats capacity subjected to approval of NCTE from time to time.